Thursday, May 19, 2011

Quick post of procrastination

I forgot to tell my blog reading public about a new food that I tried for the first time a couple of weeks ago.


















Yes, that's right. I ate donkey. More specifically, I ate donkey dumplings and a donkey sandwich.

The Chinese have a saying 天上有龙肉,地下有驴肉 Which means, "In heaven there is dragon meat, on earth there is donkey meat."

Chinese people are assuming here that dragon meat is really tasty and that donkey meat is the earthly equivalent. While I enjoyed my meal, and would willingly go back to that restaurant if someone suggested it (the restaurant pretty much only served donkey), I don't know if lived up to the hype. Maybe dragon meat isn't that special either.

Since coming to China, I decided to adopt an "anything goes" policy toward eating. The only thing I will not try is meat that comes from an animal that I once cherished as a pet. That really only includes dog, cat, and snake, though. So far I have tried many strange things, all of which I have enjoyed apart from jellyfish. I've found that I quite like some kinds of fish and Qingdao's famous gala (蛤蜊 pronounced ge2li2 in mandarin, but gala in a Qingdao local dialect-clams). I think I may have tried octopus at one point, but I'm not entirely sure.

Okay, back to studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment