Monday, April 18, 2011

Don't trust google translate

 Tomorrow I have to give a presentation in my Chinese culture class on an important holiday, or really anything about America (we will have five different countries represented in these presentations, so I'm sure they will be interesting).

I decided to talk about my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving. As I was preparing my presentation, I wanted to know how to say "native animal/species." I was trying to describe why the turkey is so important to Thanksgiving. Anyway, my searches for native and indigenous turned up so many results on MDBG (my favorite online dictionary) that I decided to see what google translate would give me.

 
Luckily, I then checked back on my trusted MDBG.


Note: Turkeys are not important because they are protozoans!

Be careful with google translate. I generally only ever use it for entertainment by translating things I write in Chinese back into English to see how ridiculous it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment