Wednesday, June 29, 2011

In Hong Kong/Reflections on Qingdao

So, I guess I lied about the whole last post thing and I'll write a quick one here. We're somewhat settled in to our hostel in Hong Kong. Today was an extremely difficult and heart wrenching day. I said goodbye to some of the best friends I've ever had. It really felt like I was leaving the people who have been my family for the past four months. Several of my friends cut the last class of the morning to come and see Maeve and me off and there were tears from all of us. At this point I think it hasn't really hit me yet that I'm not just going to wake up in Qingdao tomorrow morning and go eat a baozi (包子) breakfast with my friends before class. It's hard to process that that amazing group of people will probably never be in the same place again and that I'd have to go all around the world to see them individually. Before coming to Qingdao, my heart was already split between two countries; the country of my birth and of my family, and the country that has captivated my academic interest for the past few years. Now, my heart is scattered around the world with the friends who I've grown to love. Given that a high concentration of these friends are located in Europe (France, Germany, Italy, England, Austria, Czech Republic, The Netherlands...), I really hope that I can get the chance to go and visit them. These have been the best four months of my life and I wouldn't change a thing.

Well, that's about all of the reflection I can muster after an exhausting travel day. This may (or may not) be my last post for a while. Though, we will be in this hostel for the next five or six days, so I will have regular internet access.

No comments:

Post a Comment